Voting

Thursday, July 21, 2011

baby dresser

One of the great things about moving down here when we did is that my parents were moving at the same time. They're building their new house so all of their things are going into storage. So, Ben and I were lucky enough to "inherit" a lot of the things they just didn't feel was worth keeping in storage. Lucky us! Thanks mom and dad. We took this old dresser that my little brother used and abused for his entire childhood and turned it into a little princess dresser. We may have been a little bit counter-productive taking off the old finish of the dresser. First we used some serious paint remover. That took a lot of scraping and work. After that was done it still needed to be sanded quite a bit. So, we splurged on an electric sander after realizing how hard hand sanding was. Next, I spray painted the entire dresser pink. The pink was a little more bold than I anticipated. I highly recommend spray painting. Easiest thing I've ever done. I forgot to take a picture of just the white paint on the dresser, before I distressed it. Oh well. This is the finished product. The bright pink underneath is quite mild now after distressing it in only a few places. We found those top handles at Hobby Lobby. I really like them. They're quite unique. I spray painted the original handles for the rest of the drawers.This is the first time Ben and I have ever refinished something. It was pretty fun, but kind of a lot of work. But, we'll probably still do it again if the opportunity presents itself. Now I've got to get to decorating the rest of her room. This is definitely not my area of expertise.

2 comments: